How to Become a Director
Who is eligible to run to be a MCGA Director?
Anyone who is:
- A member of the Manitoba Canola Growers Association
- Someone who has been engaged in the business of producing and marketing canola in Manitoba and has paid fees to the Association (check-off) in the previous fiscal year. If so, you shall be a Member of the Association for the subsequent two fiscal years of the Association. See Section Four – Membership – Bylaws.
- 18 years of age.
- A resident of Manitoba.
How long is the term for an MCGA Director?
Each director is elected for a four-year term.
Directors take office following the conclusion of the next annual meeting following the holding of the election.
Directors can serve a maximum of three consecutive terms.
When are election dates for MCGA?
Elections are held every two years within the province.
How do you become nominated to become a director?
- Nominations for the office of director shall be submitted to the main business office of the Association in Winnipeg on or after the 15th day of November and no later than 4:30 pm C.S.T on the 3oth day of November in an election year.
- Nomination forms must be signed by at least six (6) Manitoba Canola Growers Members (eight or more are recommended)
- Signed by the nominee to indicate the nominee’s acceptance of the nomination.
Printed nomination form can be dowloaded by clicking here or accessed by contacting the Manitoba Canola Growers office by phone 204-982-2122 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
Digital nomination forms are also an option. Returning officer Rej Vermette from Avenue 4 will happily assist you in using this form option. You will provide him with your name, farm name and address along with the names and e-mails of the farmers you would like to sign your form. Please contact him by email at email@example.com or phone 204-961-1213.
Nomination Package Checklist:
- Your nomination form – signed by a minimum of 6 Manitoba Canola Grower members (8+ recommended) and signed by the nominee
- A picture of yourself
- A 150 word max biography that will be posted on-line and featured on the voting ballot
What Procedures are Followed in Electing MCGA Directors?
- When the number of nominees does not exceed the number of positions available for election, the returning officer shall declare nominees elected by acclamation.
- When there are more nominees than positions an election will take place, conducted by the returning officer.
- Voting shall be by secret ballot.
- One ballot is mailed to each member no later than the 14th day of December.
- Ballots are to be returned no later than January 15th at 4:30 pm CST.
- Ballots are counted five business days following the return deadline.
- More election details can be found in Section Four – Membership – Bylaws.