Canola Check Off
As of August 1, 2008 the check off will be $1.00/tonne (2.2 cents/bushel)
Canola Check-Off Facts:
- The check-off is $1.00 per tonne on all Manitoba-grown canola, rapeseed or oilseed of the Brassica family .
- The check-off is to be collected by all buyers, elevators, crushers and dealers and remitted to MCGA to administer canola programs.
- Canola growers who do not wish to remain a member to benefit canola production in our province can file a refund request form, twice each year.
- All growers who contribute check-off monies have the right to participate in elections to the board of the Manitoba Canola Growers Association, stand for election and bring forward resolutions for consideration by the membership.
March 9, 2016 – Investment Tax Credits Available to Canola Growers:
Canola farmers in Manitoba who are members of the Manitoba Canola Growers Association (MCGA) qualify for a tax credit for the 2015 tax year.
The Scientific Research and Experimental Development (SR&ED) tax credit allows canola farmers to claim the tax credit for that portion of the check off paid that was used to fund qualifying research.
The rate for Manitoba canola producers in 2015 is 5.66 per cent. For example, an individual farmer that paid $100.00 in check off to the MCGA in 2015 has earned $5.66 toward the tax credit.
The tax credit can:
- offset federal taxes owing in the current year,
- be received as a tax refund if no tax is owing,
- be carried forward up to 10 years to offset federal taxes owing, or
- be carried back 3 years to reduce federal taxes paid in those years.
For more information, contact the Canada Revenue Agency or your accountant. Click here for SR&ED information on the Canada Revenue Agency website.
For more information contact:
Manitoba Canola Growers Association