The MCGA Board prides itself on being informed, engaged leaders in the agriculture industry. We seek diverse individuals that are representative of the many experiences and perspectives in Manitoba farming to share their input and direction for MCGA.
MCGA Directors will:
- Work with other Directors and staff to continuously monitor, access, and revise strategic direction of organization.
- Manage financial resources including the development of an annual budget and other financial controls.
- Work with staff to determine and monitor Association programs and services.
- Continue to enhance the public image of the Association.
- Actively participate in the board’s annual evaluation and planning efforts.
- Regularly attend board meetings and important related meetings.
- Provide input to the Chair on meeting agenda items.
- Commit to actively participate in board and committee work.
- Volunteer for and willingly accept assignments and complete them thoroughly and on time.
- Stay informed about board matters, prepare for meetings, and review and comment on minutes and reports.
- Get to know other board members and build a collegial working relationship that contributes to consensus.
Beneficial Skills of a Director include:
- A passion for agriculture
- An open mind
- Strategic thinking and critical thinking skills
- Forward-focused, big picture thinking
- Internally motivated
- Knowledge of the canola industry
- Experience in one or more of these areas: Finance, Research, Agronomics, Policy development, Public relations, Governance
- Two to Three board meetings annually (1.5-2 days)
- Two to Three board video calls annually (2-3 hours each)
- One Annual General Meeting
- Optional attendance at CropConnect, Manitoba Ag Days, and the Canadian Crops Convention
- Occasional brief conference calls / Online meetings as needed
- Participation in two committees (each roughly four video calls per year)
- Governance & Finance Committee/Ad Hoc Advocacy Committee
- Grower Engagement & Communications Committee
- Market Development Committee
- Research Committee
- Four Directors are also appointed to represent MCGA on external boards:
- Canola Council of Canada Representative (1)
- Canadian Canola Growers Representatives (2)
- KAP Advisory Committee Representative (1)
Personal Growth Opportunities:
- Leadership Development
- Gain understanding of inner workings of the canola industry
- Network with fellow farmers, agronomists, industry, researchers, crushers, exporters, national canola sector representatives, and government, among others.
- Attend educational workshops and seminars
- Influence growth or change across the canola sector in Manitoba
Canola is a $4.2 billion dollar industry in Manitoba. The farmer voice is an important influence in developing decisions and policies that will support a progressive, profitable, and forward thinking canola industry as it moves forward. As a member of the Manitoba Canola Growers board of directors you will play a primary role in making decisions that will affect the future of canola and the agriculture industry in this province.
Recognizing that the time away from your farm is valuable, Manitoba Canola Growers provide a compensatory per diem, mileage and expense package to offset the time away from the business when you are representing the members of the Manitoba Canola Growers